Home Forums Featured Matches from our Roving Reporters Apr 28th: Stoke Gabriel v St Austell

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kevin Besford 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #15301

    Kevin Besford
    • Topics Started: 47
    • Replies 1
    • Total Posts 48

     Stoke Gabriel 2 St Austell 3

    These sides met on the first day of the season with Stoke pulling off a surprise 3-2 win and they will have hoped that they could get a similar result in this their last home game of the season.

    On the day St Austell were to get their revenge but they were hanging on at the end as Stoke gave a valiant effort to rescue a point from the game.

    Stoke started in the ascendency and after only seven minutes a free kick from Danny Gaze brought a fine save from visiting keeper Jason Chapman as he tipped it round the post.

    That was as good as it got in the first half as St Austell and Liam Eddy in particular dominated affairs and it was only five minutes later that the first arrived. Eddy was played through from the right and slotted home low into the far corner.

    Stoke tried to get back into the game and on twenty six minutes Louis Roberts saw the keeper off his line and tried his luck from forty yards but unfortunately for him it was just the wrong side of the post.

    Just a couple of minutes later and Eddy struck again. His first attempt was well saved by Martyn Margarson but the rebound fell back to him and he prodded home for two nil.

    Eddy must have thought he had the hat trick just five minutes later when he brought a superb save from Margarson tipping it round the post.

    The very next attack and a looping header from Martin Giles found the keeper wrong footed and he could only watch it go in for three nil, surely securing the points for the visitors.

    Just before half time Stoke had a chance to pull one back but after Nathan Hebbes put Stuart Bowker through he fired high, wide and not very handsome.

    The phrase a game of two halves is often used in football and today was a classic example as Stoke laid siege to the visitors goal.

    The first minute of the half and Robbie Bowker had a good low shot tipped wide by the visiting keeper. Straight up the other end and that man Eddy again was through to bring a fine save from Margarson.

    It seemed at times as if Stoke were camped in the St Austell box and shots rained in from various angles but all the time the threat was there on the break from St Austell and especially Liam Eddy.

    Back at the St Austell end and Nathan Hebbes caused havoc with cutting in from the right and Tom Chambers was required to hook to safety.

    Half way through the half and Stoke got the breakthrough that there dominance deserved as Stuart Bowker was brought down from behind for the referee to award the penalty. Bowker picked himself up and fired straight down the middle for his twentieth goal of the season.

    Ten minutes from time and a defensive ricochet fell to the feet of Michael Turner who squeezed it through under the keeper, a rushing in Ryan Keates made sure forcing in from a matter of inches out. Could the great comeback be on.

    Stoke pressed to get the equaliser while the visitors took off Eddy to be replaced by another defender.

    Despite their best efforts and a long range shot that fizzed over from Frazer Clark the equaliser was not to be and St Austell would be going back home with the three points.

    Stoke lying comfortably in mid table now have just three away games to complete while St Austell have five games left to secure the top six finish that they are looking for.

    • This topic was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  Phil Hiscox.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Website by Devon Web Design Function28